The COVID-19 pandemic has changed how businesses operate, and eCommerce has been one of the few industries to thrive in this new landscape. In fact, many businesses have turned to eCommerce to survive during these unprecedented times.
As consumer demand continues to rise, it has become increasingly challenging for eCommerce businesses to handle the influx of traffic. Companies that operate on-premise platforms have found it hard to adapt to the sudden increase in demand. Therefore, eCommerce businesses are exploring software-as-a-service platforms as an alternative solution.
SaaS eCommerce tools offer a range of features that allow businesses to efficiently and effectively manage their online stores, from inventory management to payment processing, streamlining their operations and improving their customers' shopping experience.
In this article, we will look at 10 outstanding examples of SaaS for eCommerce software and examine their benefits, features, and pricing. We will also provide insights on when to choose SaaS development services for custom eCommerce solutions. By the end of this article, you'll have a better understanding of the eCommerce landscape and available tools to boost your online presence.
Types of eCommerce Platforms
There are three major types of eCommerce platforms that we’ll cover in this blog post:
On-premise deployment used to be the only option for eCommerce stores, but it has become less common over time. On-premise eCommerce platforms require significant investment in developing the platform from the ground up, purchasing a dedicated server, and addressing all of the technical issues that arise. On-premise platforms are only recommended if the eCommerce solution is highly specialized and unique and cannot be supported by open-source or SaaS platforms. One of the downsides of on-premise eCommerce platforms is their poor scalability, making it challenging to increase web traffic or expand the business.
Open-source eCommerce platforms are free and can be customized to meet the user's specific needs, but they require technical expertise to set up and maintain.
SaaS eCommerce platforms are gaining popularity due to their ease of use, scalability, and lower upfront costs.
What is SaaS eCommerce?
The Software as a Service (SaaS) model provides access to software applications through the internet on a cloud-based platform. In the case of SaaS eCommerce, the software is delivered through a subscription model, with users paying a recurring monthly or annual fee for continued access.
The flexibility and scalability of SaaS eCommerce solutions make them a popular choice for businesses of all sizes, with customizable options to fit the unique needs of each user.
Benefits of SaaS in eCommerce business
Before we dive into the list of eCommerce SaaS tools, let's first understand the benefits of using SaaS in the eCommerce company.
- Cost-effective - SaaS solutions are generally cost-effective as they do not require businesses to invest in expensive hardware or software, which is particularly helpful for small businesses with limited budgets.
- Easy to use - SaaS solutions are known for their simple and user-friendly interface and often come with intuitive features requiring little or no training.
- Scalability - SaaS solutions are highly scalable, which means businesses can quickly increase or decrease their usage based on their needs.
- Automatic updates - SaaS solutions come with automatic updates provided by vendors, which means businesses don't need to worry about spending resources on software maintenance.
- Accessibility - SaaS solutions are accessible from anywhere with an internet connection, which is especially important for remote teams or businesses with multiple locations.
Top ten eCommerce SaaS companies
Let's explore the top ten eCommerce SaaS companies that can help you take your online business to the next level.
Shopify is one of the most well-known SaaS eCommerce platforms that offer all-in-one solutions for online businesses. It has an easy-to-use interface and is perfect for small to medium-sized businesses. Shopify's eCommerce features include payment gateways, shopping carts, cart upsell, shipping integrations, and inventory management.
- Shopify provides multiple integrations with various payment gateways, including PayPal, Stripe, and Apple Pay.
- It has a user-friendly app store with hundreds of plugins, including Shopify accounting, email marketing, and dropshipping tools.
- Shopify offers a customizable checkout process that can increase conversion rates for online stores.
- It has advanced SEO tools to help businesses rank higher in search engines and attract more organic traffic.
Shopify offers three pricing plans:
- Basic Plan for $24
- Professional Plan for $69
- Advanced Plan for $299
You can also subscribe to Shopify promotional trial plan for three months at $1 per month. However, Shopify may offer this promotional plan for a certain period.
BigCommerce is a cloud-based eCommerce platform suitable for businesses of all sizes. It offers a robust set of eCommerce features, including multiple payment options, product management, and inventory tracking.
- BigCommerce has built-in marketing tools, including email marketing and social media integrations.
- It offers advanced search engine optimization features to help businesses rank higher in search results.
- BigCommerce has flexible shipping and tax options to handle complex shipping requirements.
- It provides a native mobile app that enables store owners to manage their stores from anywhere.
- BigCommerce offers three pricing plans such as,
- Basic Plan for $29.95 per month.
- Plus Plan for $79.95 per month.
- Pro Plan for $299.95 per month.
Wix is the most popular solution among SaaS eCommerce platforms that offers drag-and-drop website-building tools. It has a user-friendly interface and is perfect for small businesses and startups.
- Wix provides an AI-powered website builder that makes it easy for businesses to create their own eCommerce store.
- It offers many payment options, including PayPal and credit card payments.
- Wix provides a mobile-optimized storefront that looks great on all devices.
- You can make use of advanced eCommerce features, including inventory management and shipping integrations.
Wix lets you go with one of the following four plans according to your business needs.
- Connect Domain Plan for $4.50 per month.
- Combo Plan for $8.50 per month.
- Unlimited Plan for $12.5 per month.
- VIP Plan $24.5 per month.
3dcart is a powerful SaaS eCommerce platform that offers advanced features for users who need to scale their online store. It includes various tools for managing products, orders, customer data, and marketing & SEO features.
- 3dcart offers over 100 payment gateways, including popular options like PayPal, Stripe, and Amazon Pay.
- The platform includes a range of marketing tools, including abandoned cart recovery, email marketing, and affiliate management.
- 3dcart provides integration with popular shipping carriers, such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS.
- The platform offers a variety of responsive themes that are optimized for different industries and niches.
- 3dcart offers a 15-day free trial and plans starting at $19 per month.
- Shift4Shop Plan at $0 per month (minimum $500 processed per month) or $29 per month
- Standard plans for up to $299 per month
- Enterprise plans for $2000 per month
5. Square Online
Square is a SaaS eCommerce solution that offers online store creation tools and payment processing solutions. It is an excellent choice for small businesses that want to sell products online.
- Square offers payment processing solutions that can be integrated into any online store.
- It provides a customizable online store that can be branded to match the business's look and feel.
- Square offers inventory management features that enable businesses to keep track of their stock.
- It provides a mobile-optimized storefront that is optimized for smartphones and tablets.
Square has three pricing plans for the SaaS eCommerce platforms users such as,
- Free plan for $0 per month (particular charges may apply on each transaction if you go with the free plan)
- Plus plan for $29 per month
- Premium plan for $79 per month
Volusion is a cloud-based SaaS platform that offers a wide range of eCommerce features. It is suitable for businesses of all sizes.
- Volusion provides a user-friendly dashboard that enables businesses to manage their stores efficiently.
- It offers customizable themes and templates to create a unique online store. Volusion provides advanced SEO features to help businesses rank higher in search engines.
- It has a range of integrations, including Amazon and eBay, to expand the reach of businesses.
You may find three pricing plans on Volusion as enlisted below,
- Personal plan for $35 per month.
- Professional plan for $79 per month.
- Business plan for $299 per month.
Squarespace is a website builder that offers eCommerce functionality as an add-on feature. It has a user-friendly interface and is perfect for businesses of all sizes.
- Squarespace provides a wide range of customizable templates and themes to create a unique online store.
- It offers an intuitive website builder that enables businesses to create their own website without any coding knowledge.
- Squarespace also offers a range of marketing tools, including email campaigns and social media integration.
Squarespace comes up with the following four pricing plans,
- Personal plan for $23 per month
- Business plan for $33 per month
- Basic Commerce plan for $36 per month
- Advance Commerce Plan for $65 per month
WooCommerce is a free eCommerce platform built as a plugin for WordPress. It is a popular choice for businesses with a WordPress website, as it seamlessly integrates with the existing website. It offers a range of features for online store management, including product management, payment options, and shipping options.
- WooCommerce offers a variety of extensions and plugins to extend the platform's functionality.
- It provides a range of customizable themes and templates to choose from.
- It integrates with various payment gateways, including PayPal, Stripe, and Authorize.net.
- It offers shipping management features, including real-time shipping rates, shipping labels, and shipment tracking.
WooCommerce is free to use, but additional costs for extensions, themes, and hosting may be incurred.
PrestaShop is a free, open-source SaaS eCommerce platform that provides users with complete control over their online store. Its features include product management, order tracking, and advanced reporting and analytics.
- PrestaShop offers multi-language support and can be used to create online stores in different languages.
- It provides integration with over 50 payment gateways, including PayPal, Stripe, and Skrill.
- The platform offers a range of SEO features, including adding meta tags, optimizing URLs, and generating a sitemap.
- PrestaShop's modular architecture allows users to add and remove features as they see fit.
- PrestaShop's software is free, but users must pay for hosting domains and other third-party services.
- PrestaShop software is free to download and use
- Additional costs include web hosting, domain registration, and any third-party services or plugins
10. Big Cartel
Big Cartel is a Software as a Service eCommerce platform designed specifically for artists and makers. It offers a simple and user-friendly interface for setting up an online store, and it includes features such as inventory management, order tracking, and product customization.
- Big Cartel allows users to sell digital and physical products and offer pre-orders and custom products.
- The platform offers customization options for the online store's design, including using custom domains and adding custom CSS.
- Big Cartel provides integrations with popular payment gateways such as PayPal and Stripe.
- Users can manage and fulfill orders directly from the Big Cartel mobile app.
- Big Cartel offers a free plan with limited features and paid plans starting at $9.99 per month.
- Free plan with 5 products and basic features
- Platinum plan for $9.99 per month with 50 products and more features
- Diamond plan for $19.99 per month with 500 products and even more features
SaaS eCommerce solutions have revolutionized the way businesses operate in the digital age. With the rise of online shopping, it's essential to have an efficient and effective eCommerce platform. Each of the ten outstanding examples of SaaS eCommerce software discussed in this post offers unique features and pricing options to help businesses of all sizes. By utilizing one of these tools, businesses can streamline their operations, increase sales, and enhance their customers' shopping experience. So, if you're looking to supercharge your online company, consider a SaaS eCommerce solution that best fits your needs.
Feel free to approach Apptension if you need expert assistance or guidance in optimizing a SaaS eCommerce platform or developing a customized on-premises SaaS eCommerce platform.