One needs to work on unique ideas with exceptional marketing campaigns to taste success in the SaaS market. SaaS marketing is a broad category that covers everything from email campaigns to in-app messaging.
Therefore, it’s vital to understand how all these different types of content can be used together as a cohesive strategy that drives sales growth for your business.
In this post, we'll walk through some of our favorite strategies that have performed incredibly for us over the years and some tips that will guide you in building an exceptional SaaS marketing strategy.
Might be interesting: 12 SaaS benefits and features for business you must know
Ten SaaS marketing tips to boost sales of your product
Let's go through the ten best tried and tested SaaS marketing tips to increase the sales of your products.
1. Nail your value proposition
A value proposition defines a statement of what your product/service offers to the customer. It’s not just an idea—it needs to be tested and refined until it resonates with your audience.
The best way to develop a value proposition is by answering this question: What problem do you solve?
It can be as simple as "It makes it easy for people to do X work." Or maybe it's more complex, like "It help businesses reach their goals by enabling them with data science tools."
Whatever the case may be, getting specific about how your SaaS product helps businesses solve their problems will provide insight into who exactly your customers are and their pain points to justify purchasing from you over another competitor in their industry (or even online).
You may also like: How to sell SaaS? 10 experts' tips to sell SaaS
Engage with your team to create a value proposition statement multiple times to identify your actual audience and the reasons that could trigger them to buy your SaaS product. Creating a perfect value proposition can lay the foundation for a great SaaS marketing strategy for a SaaS company.
2. Do a target market study
- Understand your target market.
- Why is it important to understand your target market?
- How to do a target market study?
The first step in any successful SaaS marketing plan is understanding who you are selling your product/service to and why they would buy it. You can do it by conducting thorough market research that includes data collection on demographics, psychographics, and behavioral traits of potential customers.
For instance: if you're selling software that allows businesses to track their sales leads in real-time, then you should know how many people have downloaded the app so far; what kind of industry they work in; what kind of job title they have at their company; etc.
Once these details are known about each customer base member (or person), it's easy enough for marketers who don’t know anything about psychology or sociology but still love learning about everything else!
3. Advocate for a buyer persona-based strategy
As a SaaS company, you must comprehend your buyer persona and how they use the product. It will help you understand what they want and how they use it. It will ultimately let you create appealing content to increase conversions from leads into sales.
You can create buyer personas using tools like UserTesting or UserZoom. These tools provide valuable insight into the different types of people using your product, which will assist you in shaping future SaaS advertising tactics by focusing on the right audience for each content or promotion strategy.
Worth checking: IaaS, PaaS & SaaS explained. 10 most important differences
4. Use SaaS content marketing to build trust and value
SaaS Content marketing is an incredible way to build trust and value. Marketers can rely on content marketing strategy to educate their target market about their product and help prospects understand why they should choose their product over the competitors' SaaS product.
For instance: if you're selling a SaaS tool that assists salespeople in tracking their leads and following up with them effectively, then creating an educational piece on how this works would be beneficial for both existing customers (who already know what they're getting) and potential new customers (who do not).
5. Think about the sales funnel
The sales funnels are a visual representation of the buying process. You can see how many people are at every step before moving on to the next stage or dropping out altogether.
Creating sales funnels can benefit marketers, especially in designing B2B SaaS marketing strategies. Generally, a B2B SaaS sales funnel includes five stages: awareness, interest, evaluation, purchase, and loyalty.
- Awareness - Before someone becomes aware of your product or service, they have no idea what it is and why they need it (or maybe they don't know yet). In this phase, SaaS marketers want them to identify their SaaS product so they'll be more likely to purchase from them once they see what kind of company/product/service they offer.
- Interest - This stage is where potential buyers start thinking about making an investment decision based upon their needs being met by whatever product/service is being offered now; however, it doesn't always happen immediately due to other factors such as budget constraints, etcetera.
- Evaluation - It's a phase where someone has decided whether or not they want something from another person's business - typically when there's some guarantee involved (such as money back guarantee), then evaluation happens, where both parties evaluate each other's offerings before deciding which one makes sense financially speaking.
- Purchase - Once someone buys something online via an online marketplace or from a direct SaaS company website, this becomes a purchase. Where payment goes through securely via PayPal, bank transfer, etcetera.
6. Grow your SaaS business with SEO and PPC
SEO and PPC are considered key pillars of any SaaS marketing strategy. Your website will be your key source of leads, so you must collaborate with the technical team to design a highly optimized website with up to per UI and UX for your SaaS company.
SEO is great for driving organic traffic to a SaaS site, but it can't do much if there aren't enough people clicking through on the first page or two because they've already found what they're looking for elsewhere online (or maybe even offline). You also want these visitors converted into leads as soon as possible—and this means getting them onto your email list!
You might want to consider hiring a SaaS SEO agency, but be aware SEO is a slow process; you can neither win organic traffic against all the high-valued keywords nor wait longer to get ranked on all keywords for generating business. Sometimes, you'll have to go for PPC campaigns with SEO to keep the show running. But there is also a high probability for growth if you utilize SEO link building strategies correctly as this process is very often the essential thing for website growth and good rankings.
Might be interesting: SaaS link building guide: all you need to know
PPC (pay-per-click) ads allow businesses like yours to target specific keywords to show off their products while also increasing conversions by bringing customers directly into contact with those products via an offer that fits within those keywords' search histories (which makes sense since most people won't click on something unless they think there might be something good inside).
7. Build a community around your software
Building a community around your software is a great way to get feedback on how you can improve your product. It's also a great way to find new users, promote your SaaS products, and identify new channels for growth.
The most popular types of communities are social media groups, email lists, and forums. You can create these in just about any language or format — from Twitter chats to Reddit threads — so long as it has an interactive component that allows people in the group to contribute ideas or ask questions about what you do (or don't do).
8. Use social media to establish authority
Social media is another excellent tool to establish authority in your industry. You can use SM platforms to spread your message and connect with potential customers. It can also let you build relationships with people interested in working with you as an expert or influencer.
For brand and SaaS product awareness, you can run paid and organic campaigns on multiple digital media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok (depending on your SaaS product and targeted audience nature).
Social media has a massive impact on today's human lives; it plays a vital role in the decision-making process for buying a particular product. Even a few top SM platforms, like Facebook, also serve as eCommerce platforms. So, it clarifies how social media plays a significant role in SaaS marketing strategies.
9. Get press coverage to enhance your credibility
Getting press coverage is crucial for a SaaS. It's one of the best ways to show off your product and build credibility. But getting press coverage can be difficult, especially if you're starting with no track record or resources to pay for it.
There are two ways to get attention from news outlets:
- Write an article about your company/service in a reputable publication like TechCrunch, Forbes, or Business Insider (you can even write about yourself). It will get awareness for your SaaS company and product.
- Contact journalists directly via email or phone number listed on their website, which often includes published contact information, so people like me can easily find it when needed! Discuss with journalists the impact of your SaaS product on a particular industry, human life, or whatever it does for the betterment. Getting appreciation from a journalist means broadcasting your voice to millions.
Also read: Top 10 SaaS KPIs you need to know and track
10. Develop and nurture affiliate partnerships programs
Affiliate marketing is an eminent way to boost sales; it gives a company a force of salespersons who do not ask for salary and other perks but happily work only on sale commissions.
However, as a SaaS marketer, you may not undervalue the weightage of the affiliate marketing; ensure to keep the referral partnership marketing programs in place for your SaaS product marketing.
SaaS marketing strategy tips to boost sales of your product. Final words
There is no rule of thumb for designing compelling SaaS marketing strategies. In fact, no single thing will work for every SaaS company, product, or industry. Your best bet is researching and figuring out what works best for your business.
While some key elements exist in almost all successful SaaS marketing strategies, some of which are discussed in this blog post. The best way to comprehend the effective ways to succeed as a SaaS company is by looking at what has worked for other companies.
And if you're looking for a partner to create your SaaS digital product first - feel free to contact us!